Friday, April 10, 2009

Thing 19: Other Social Networking Sites

I looked into gather.com. Wow. It is very different now than when it first launched. You can tell by reading the publishers weekly article. It was originally designed to be a more bibliophile-focused site. Now it is more of a general social networking site. The title of the article is "Can Gather.com Get Book Lovers Online?" and the answer is, apparently, no.

There are users sharing and discussing writing. Yet, the overall feel is still more like a social networking site that exists not as a place to accomplish anything in particular but to just be a part of something.

I searched ning.com for social networks about/for libraries/librarians. The most popular (i.e. most members) was the Library 2.0 network. Not really surprising. Ultimately, I decided not to join this or any of the other networks I looked into. I think there are two types of Internet users: Those who like to socialize and those who just want answers/information. I am more like the latter. If I have information to share, I will try to share it. But mostly I am using the Web as tool and not as a socialization location.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Posts that contain "library 2.0" per day for the last 90 days.

Get your own chart!