Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thing 14: Online Productivity Tools

The start page I checked out was My Yahoo! because I actually used it in the mid-1990's and I wanted to see how things have changed. It is very interesting how the basic idea is nearly exactly the same: Customizing a "home" on the Web where you can find the familiar and venture off into the unfamiliar. I like the customizations you can make and all of the features you can add; but I think I don't use a start page now for the same reason I stopped using them before. Namely, the sameness gets boring to me quickly, actually (and I don't feel like taking the time to change things around) and, despite all of the stuff, I don't feel it is everything I need on a daily basis.

What do I do now then?

One of the best things I have done for productivity and thoroughness is to customize my Firefox browser. Right now, when I open Firefox, 10 tabs open instantly all-at-once to the Web sites I like to begin with and start other activities from. It is like a start page in a way, just multiple pages... perhaps it should be called a start browser.

It is really easy to do this, too. Just go to Tools, select Options, and you'll see a text box with your homepage URL in it. If you want to add more tabs, just separate each URL with a pipe (this thing | i.e.,shift+backslash).

As far as the other tools go, the pdf converters are really handy and I use them quite often. Google calendar is very good, and it is very easy to post in a blog (as you can see I did below) or on a web page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Posts that contain "library 2.0" per day for the last 90 days.

Get your own chart!