Friday, April 10, 2009

Thing 18: MySpace Facebook

I think MySpace and Facebook might be a step too far into pop culture. Maybe it works out for some public libraries, especially teen outreach; but I feel clear divisions are often necessary.

I want libraries and librarians to be seen as experts, as individuals and institutions above the endless cycle of fads in pop culture. I want us to be clearly seen as the place to go for information and knowledge... trustworthy and thorough information and knowledge. Some patrons might think nothing of a library being on MySpace or Facebook; but many users of MySpace and Facebook realize how frivolous and time-wasting it can be. I wonder what they think of the library being on these sites. Perhaps they think we have too much time on our hands.

I know exactly what MySpace and Facebook are, and I know my library does not need them. All I can say to the individuals and institutions who choose to utilize these Things is make sure you have clearly defined goals. Don't do something because "all of the kids are doing it" - if it isn't fulfilling a purpose, focus on something that does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Posts that contain "library 2.0" per day for the last 90 days.

Get your own chart!